The Basics & Beyond EMDR Refresher Course
This two day EMDR professional training refresher course will clear the cobwebs, increase your fidelity to the model, and keep you current with updates to the EMDR Basic Training curriculum and modifications for telehealth. We’ll also discuss how to approach all phases of EMDR Therapy with more cultural awareness and competence. It’s a stress-free, in-depth, and highly interactive learning experience with a great mix of:
- live demonstration
- in-depth case discussion
- guided practicum
- and lots of Q&A!
This fast-paced, interactive workshop should give you the confidence and skill to offer your EMDR Therapy clients more efficient, effective treatment.
Six reasons to invest in Connect’s Basics and Beyond EMDR Refresher Course:
- You took the training years ago and are unaware of updates to the EMDRIA-Approved Curriculum or the world of EMDR Therapy.
- You felt unsure of how to use EMDR via telehealth during Covid.
- You had inadequate opportunities to practice and have gotten “rusty.”
- You developed a “creative” approach, strayed from the Standard Protocol, and lost fidelity to the model.
- You got stuck with tough clients early on and lost confidence.
- You have clients who need immediate symptom reduction or more containment during reprocessing.
What You’ll Learn
This workshop is for any clinician who has received the Basic Training in EMDR through an EMDRIA-Approved Training. The workshop will review and update information on AIP case conceptualization, the 8 phases and three prongs of EMDR Therapy, developing Target Sequencing Plans for a variety of clinical presentation and settings, and strategies for successful reprocessing, including how to work with blocking beliefs and cognitive interweaves.
Participants will also have an opportunity to improve their skills related to Resourcing, Floatbacks, Affect Scans, and EMD. Practicum experiences will help further consolidate these concepts.
Day One Learning Objectives:
- Apply modifications for successfully conducting EMDR Therapy via telehealth.
- Determine whether a client needs symptom reduction focused on a specific presenting concern, or comprehensive treatment that targets multiple maladaptive themes.
- Predict client readiness for trauma reprocessing and correct pacing of treatment using the 20Q Client Readiness Checklist
- Correctly assess choice points in history taking and treatment planning, including when to use the Affect Scan or Float Back and how to organize information around different types of symptom clusters.
- Identify clients’ internal and external resources; tracking expansion of adaptive networks in preparation phase and throughout therapy.
- Use multiple Phase 2 interventions, including Resource Development and Installation, to build clients’ capacity for self-regulation and trauma processing.
- Describe the three Informational Plateaus and how to generate appropriate Negative and Positive Cognitions in the Assessment Phase.
Day Two Learning Objectives:
- List goals and procedures for all eight phases and 3 prongs of EMDR therapy.
- Design treatment plans for a variety of client presentations, practice settings, and situational constraints.
- Demonstrate cross-cultural competence by working collaboratively to assess and treat collective and culturally-based traumas.
- List three key indicators of Complex PTSD and development trauma so adaptations can be made early in treatment.
- List two strategies for uncovering and resolving blocking beliefs.
- Use at least four simple but effective strategies to keep processing moving when clients become “blocked” or “stuck” during reprocessing phases.
- Identify when Cognitive Interweaves are needed and apply them effectively.
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of EMD: a form of contained processing used to desensitize intrusive traumatic content and quickly improve functioning without overwhelming the client.
Feedback from Past Attendees:
“Amazing training! Well worth the money, time, and travel.“
“Great review of old material and sharing of new information. I’m refreshed and ready to work with clients!“
“I would highly recommend this Refresher Course for all trained and certified EMDR professionals.“
“Great refresher and motivation to begin practicing.“
“Excellent presenter and very personable! Kept me engaged the entire time.“