What a joy! One of my favorite things about being an EMDR trainer is meeting wonderful therapists in other communities. At last week’s Back to Basics EMDR Refresher Class in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl, I had the pleasure of working with more than twenty phenomenal EMDR therapists from South Florida…some trained by the great Dr. Francine Shapiro herself in the 1980’s and some had trained as recently as this year. That kind of diversity of experience is why I love teaching the EMDR Refresher; every class is different depending on the needs and skill levels of the participants. It keeps me on my toes and makes me even better at identifying common areas of confusion and “stuck points” for EMDR therapists – and their clients.
Reviewing six days of Eye Movement Trauma Therapy in one day is a big goal, but we sure gave it our all! It was a fast-paced, high-energy day with plenty of time for questions, conversation, practicum, and live demonstration. Among other things, we:
- Got grounded in Adaptive Information Processing Theory
- Reviewed the 8 phases and three prongs of the protocol
- Refined case conceptualization and treatment planning skills
- Found solutions for common blocks to processing
- Discussed the “art” of EMDR, including pacing and cognitive interweaves
- Identified appropriate interventions along the trauma continuum, including EMD
Best of all, participants expressed how good it felt to network and build community.
I can’t wait to get to Jacksonville for the November 3rd EMDR Refresher Class. If you or an EMDR-trained colleague are interested, we still have a few more seats available. Here are some reasons you may want to attend:
- You took the training years ago and are unaware of changes to the manual
- You had inadequate opportunities to practice and have gotten “rusty”
- You developed a “creative” approach and strayed from the Standard Protocol
- You are an overachiever and want confirmation that you are doing everything perfectly!
- You have clients with recent trauma or complex presentations and want to learn how to reduce symptoms quickly with EMD and restricted processing.
Hope to see you there!
Claire Mauer, MA, NCC, LMHC
EMDR Institute Regional Trainer
Feedback from the recent Class:
“Amazing training – well worth the money, time, and travel. Great review of old material and sharing of new information. I’m refreshed and ready to work with clients.”
“The seminar was informative and well presented. It was really a fun learning experience”