EMDR Basic Training
Regina Morrow Robinson and Claire Mauer
This is an intensive, transformational training!
Our unique partner relationship with the EMDR Institute allows us to deliver Dr. Francine Shapiro and the EMDR Institute’s fully accredited, research-validated training manual and materials in a personalized environment at an affordable price.
Throughout our Basic Training, we emphasize appropriate client selection, preparation, and stabilization for diverse levels of client complexity and clinical expertise. With ongoing Consultation built right in to the training package, you will get the guidance you need to start using these new skills safely and effectively right away.
Reg Morrow Robinson & Claire Mauer are known for their clear and dynamic training style…providing a supportive and stimulating environment for learning and practicing new skills.
- 20 hours lecture
- 20 hours small group practicum
- 10 hours consultation
- 20 CEUs issued per weekend
Who is Eligible to Take the Training?
- Licensed Clinicians
- Social Workers
- Mental Health Counselors
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Psychiatric ARNPs
- Graduate Students in Internship with Active Caseloads
Back to Basics EMDR
Four reasons to invest in the Back to Basics EMDR Refresher Course
- You took the training years ago and are unaware of changes to the manual.
- You had inadequate opportunities to practice and have gotten “rusty”.
- You developed a “creative” approach and strayed from the Standard Protocol.
- You got stuck with clients early on and lost confidence.
This day-long course will clear the cobwebs, increase your fidelity to the model, and bring you up to date on recent changes in The EMDR Institute manual. The presenters will use lecture, live demonstration, and guided practicum to enhance your understanding of Adaptive Information Processing Theory, the 8 Phases, and the 3 Prongs of the Standard Protocol.
This fast-paced, interactive workshop should give you the confidence and skill to offer your EMDR Therapy clients more efficient, effective treatment.
- Improve Case Conceptualization by understanding the continuum of trauma from Acute Stress Disorder to Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Determine whether a client needs symptom reduction focused on a specific presenting concern or comprehensive treatment that targets multiple maladaptive themes.
- Navigate choice points in history taking and treatment planning, including when to use the Affect Scan and how to organize information around different types of symptom clusters.
- Understand the three Negative Cognition categories and how to generate appropriate Negative and Positive Cognitions in the Assessment Phase.
- Recognize when and how to offer effective Cognitive Interweaves.
- Know when and how to use EMD: a form of contained processing used to desensitize intrusive traumatic content and quickly improve functioning without overwhelming the client.
Recent Traumatic Event Protocol/Group Traumatic Event Protocol
Reg Morrow Robinson
This 2-day training is designed for EMDR trained therapists who recognize the need to have both an individual protocol and group protocol that can be applied effectively and safely to clients who have experienced a recent trauma. These two protocols were developed by Elan Shapiro and Brurit Laub of Israel. The goal of these protocols is to reduce the likelihood of delayed onset PTSD, depression, anxiety, OCD, substance use, relationship and health issues that can be exacerbated by trauma. They also assist in fostering resiliency in individuals who have experienced trauma of a man made or natural disaster.
The EMDR R-TEP protocol is applied when a recent event has occurred that requires containment and additional assistance with integration beyond the standard protocol. It is a comprehensive approach to treating recent events in the belief that serious trauma symptoms may be prevented by receiving early interventions. The EMDR G-TEP protocol is a group application useful for small groups including couples, families, and those impacted by the same traumatic event, such as a natural disaster or act of violence.
Reg and Bill were trained by Elan Shapiro and Brurit Laub in 2011 and authorized to provide the training. A portion of the training revenues are donated to R-TEP/G-TEP research efforts.
EMDR Therapy and Complex Trauma in Children
Cherilyn Rowland Petrie
This six hour workshop is designed to familiarize participants with relevant neuroscience so they can effectively develop case conceptualization for children who present with complex trauma including attachment injury, abuse and neglect. These children need a specialized approach that facilitates successful relational resourcing, development of affect regulation skills, and substantial titrated processing work to support comprehensive EMDR treatment. This presentation will explore issues of affect regulation including skill deficits and the ways in which early care templates impact current self-care. Skills related to identifying and accessing traumatic material will also be addressed. Participants will learn when and how to implement the tip-of-the-finger processing to address therapeutic blockages and actively triggered disturbance. Material will follow the Eight Phases of EMDR Therapy whenever possible and any deviations from that model will be explained to participants so that they will be able to make effective clinical adaptions for this population. This workshop will primarily consist of lecture with a one-hour practicum at the end of the day.
Working with Dissociation and Complex Trauma
as an EMDR Therapist
Adult clients with a history of chronic or prolonged childhood abuse and/or neglect present significant challenges in treatment, particularly in utilizing the standard EMDR protocol. Grounded in the AIP model, this one-day training integrates current relevant theories of complex trauma with practical interventions and resources for the EMDR therapist. The training includes both practice and discussion.
- Identitfy five characteristic symptoms of dissociation.
- Describe the role of attachment injury and chronic abuse and/or negelct in creating and maintaining dissocaitve processes and individuated self-states.
- Acquire a familiarity with the three phases of complex trauma treatment in relation to the three prongs and eight phases of EMDR therapy.
- Learn three emotional regulation methods for use in EMDR phase 2 with dissocative clients and strategies for interacting with self-states.
- Name three characteristic phobias which maintain dissociative processes.
- Can utilize several techniques for titrating EMDR phase 4 processing with dissociative clients.
6 CEUs. Provider: Creative Therapy Connections Susan K Pate, LMHC, Director # 50-461. Exp 3/31/2019. Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider. EMDRIA credits are pending
Participants will have completed an EMDRIA approved basic training in EMDR Therapy (Part I & II).
Connect Co-Founder Reg Morrow is a nationally recognized expert on EMDR Consultation. She regularly presents guidelines for excellence in consultation at EMDR International Association Annual Conferences and is a member of EMDRIA’s Professional Development Committee where she has a key role in developing uniform credentialing standards for EMDR therapists. With Reg at the helm, you can be sure that our Consultants are up-to-date on the latest edition of the EMDR Institute Basic Training and the most current national standards for EMDR consultation.
Our seasoned Consultants have years of experience providing consultation to practitioners working in all kinds of settings with diverse populations. We enjoy simplifying concepts so they are easier to master and integrate into your work with clients. We give consultees clear and direct feedback while creating an environment in which it feels safe to ask questions and make mistakes — both are crucial to the learning process!
10 hours of Basic Consultation is offered as an integral part of our Basic Training course. This consultation is delivered in small group format and is designed to take you from the ground up; reinforcing key concepts while providing the encouragement, support, and answers you need to identify appropriate clients, determine correct pacing, and move successfully through each phase of EMDR Therapy.
Consultation for Consultants-in-Training (CIT)
EMDRIA Consultants are responsible for a range of knowledge that goes far beyond simply understanding EMDR Therapy. CIT consultation assists the Consultant-in-Training in developing a consultation model to fit each CITs practice and community. CITs also get help with developing forms, assessments and feedback methods, gain an understanding of the EMDR Therapy industry, learn how to effectively handle complex situations with consultees…and so much more. Finally, skills of strong mentoring are fostered in a way that gives back not only to the community but also to the Consultant.
Consultation for Certification
In consultation for Certification, we work together to achieve proficiency in all phases of the EMDR model, refine case conceptualization and treatment planning, and increase your capacity to provide comprehensive treatment for simple to moderately complex cases while maintaining high fidelity to the EMDR Therapy Standard Protocol.
Connect is happy to offer several different formats for Certification Consultation: Group, Individual, and Dyads.
The associates of Connect also provide advanced consultation to assist clinicians in increasing their effectiveness in a variety of areas, such as:
- Mastering advanced protocols
- Working with specialized populations
- Application of EMDR therapy for specific symptoms, problems, or desired treatment outcomes
- Acquiring support for difficult cases
Often, a challenging client can propel a clinician to develop new competencies. We are here to help! Advanced consultation can be individual on an as-needed basis or as part of a group that has a focus on increasing competency in a specific clinical area, such as the Complex Trauma Consultation Group. Face-to-face and distance options are available for individual and group consultation.